[ZODB-Dev] Recovering Corrupt Database

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:59:10 +0100

Hi Cody,

--On Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2002 20:14 -0800 Cody Smith
<smithcc@uclink.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Actually we did have (nightly) backups, but before the disk was failing,
> it was merely behaving strangely.  When we started making tar.gz backups,
> tar made some strange complaint (like "file shrunk by xyz bytes"), but
> didn't fail to make the archive, and md5sums matched, so I was more than
> happy to trust the backups.
>
> Can you really make live backups of Data.fs?

Yes, this has been discussed several times and most of us do so.
Personally I have all the python code stuff in CVS repository
on another box which is of course backed up each night. The
Data.fs is stored regulary just by copy to another box and backup of this.

The message from tar is ok, since you are storing files which are changed
while storing. You should happyly recover your Data.fs from last backup.

Regards
Tino