[ZODB-Dev] Data.fs without content but 1.8GB diskspace

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Wed Oct 1 09:46:07 EDT 2003

Harald Koschinski wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> If you export the contents of the 1.8 GB database to a file using the
>> ZMI, does it generate a 1.8 GB file?  Try it.
>
> How can I try this - there is nearly nothing in the root - just some
> dtml-scripts and products.
> As far as I know is there no way to export the whole content in one step
> - or is there a way to do this?
> That's one reason why we have the whole content in one folder called
> "content" - and this folder is dropped.

There is a way.  From /manage_main, do not select any item, then click
the import/export button.  Do not enter any ID in the form.  Export to
the filesystem.  (It's a bad UI, but it works.)

Unfortunately, even this doesn't export the *entire* database, since
there may be objects other than the Zope application at the database
root.  However, I know of no product that stores things outside the Zope
application, so you probably don't need to worry about this.

One more thing: when you pack, do you pack to 0 days?  You probably should.

Shane