[ZODB-Dev] Multi-version concurrency control

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Oct 8 11:18:50 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 11:07, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> > I've posted a first draft of the project plan in the Wiki.
> > http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/MultiVersionConcurrencyControl
> >
> > Comments are welcome.
>
>  From the proposal:
> ----
> It would be complicated to support MVCC and versions. Instead, we
> propose to ignore versions.
> ----
>
> Why not extend the proposal to remove versions from ZODB 4 altogether?

There are a lot of reasons not to remove versions.  We don't have any
plans to work on ZODB4 at the moment, so it wouldn't get done for a long
time anyway.  As we work on ZODB3, we occasionally port code from ZODB4;
for this task, it's helpful that both have versions, since the porting
is easier.  ZODB3 presumably needs to support versions for backwards
compatibility.  And I kind of like versions :-).

Jeremy