[ZODB-Dev] new-style class status

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Oct 20 12:21:33 EDT 2003

At 12:09 PM 10/20/03 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
>[Tim Peters]
> >> Jeremy/Jim, what kind of magic is needed to make this new code
> >> appear in a checkout of the ZODB3 module (using the
> >> zodb33-devel-branch revision)?
>
>[Jim Fulton]
> > Why would anybody want this?  The new code is to support people who
> > want to use ZODB 3 and ExtensionClass together.  I though that set
> > was the same as people who want to use Zope.
>
>I don't know that anybody does want it, now that you mention it.  I'm pretty
>sure John Belmonte doesn't.  But since ExtensionClass has been part of ZODB
>3 releases to date, I don't know that nobody wants it either.  Anyone?

I'd certainly love to see an new-style ExtensionClass release, if it'll
help me migrate my C ExtensionClass derivatives to a less exotic
state.  Also, since I have other packages (e.g. PyProtocols) with special
support for ExtensionClass, it'd be nice to drop out the EC-specific bits.

Of course, I'm assuming here that "new-style ExtensionClass" means that
ExtensionClass will be a subclass and instance of 'type', and no longer
itself an instance of ExtensionClass.