[ZODB-Dev] new-style class status

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Oct 20 12:09:49 EDT 2003

[Tim Peters]
>> Jeremy/Jim, what kind of magic is needed to make this new code
>> appear in a checkout of the ZODB3 module (using the
>> zodb33-devel-branch revision)?

[Jim Fulton]
> Why would anybody want this?  The new code is to support people who
> want to use ZODB 3 and ExtensionClass together.  I though that set
> was the same as people who want to use Zope.

I don't know that anybody does want it, now that you mention it.  I'm pretty
sure John Belmonte doesn't.  But since ExtensionClass has been part of ZODB
3 releases to date, I don't know that nobody wants it either.  Anyone?

> When it's ready, this code will appear on the Zope head and, later,
> in Zope 2.8.

Cool.

> I should note, however, that we'll be renaming the ZODB "Persistence"
> package to "persistence". The "persistence" package will have the
> new-style non-ExtensionClass persistent base classes. A new
> "Persistence" package will be created that provides persistent
> ExtensionClass base classes.

I'm not sure what this implies.  If people currently using ZODB 3 use
Persistence, is this saying they need to change their code (to use
"persistence" instead), and that future ZODB 3 releases won't contain enough
code for them to continue using Peristence (because ExtensionClass will no
longer be part of the ZODB3 module, and Persistence will require the new
ExtensionClass code)?

Confusion about ZODB plans is the norm on this list recently, and I'm not
sure I'm helping to clarify them <wink>.