[ZODB-Dev] Our sad experience with filestorage (use DirectoryStorage?)

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Fri Jan 16 05:06:07 EST 2004

On Friday 16 January 2004 09:01, panjunyong wrote:
> >I designed DirectoryStorage to soothe my nervousness in this area. If
> > there is any area where DirectoryStorage is ahead, this is it.
>
> Yes, I heard about this.
> But I am not sure if DirectoryStorage is stable enough?

It has fewer users, so you are more likely to be the first to encounter minor
problems due to environmental differences. You are more likely to need to ask
about problems on the list, rather than find the answer in list archives.

It is robust enough that plenty of people are using it in production.

> Does it has similar problem?

There have been no reported incidents of data loss in production use.

> And may be it is not so easy to backup. (Filestorage is just a file)

Theres no great difference between the storages here. DirectoryStorage is just
a directory of files too. Both storages need special provision if you will be
taking incremental backups, or backups concurrently with writes. Both
storages are happy if you arrange that yourself using filesystem-level
snapshots, and both storages have their own backup tool.

Have you seen this storage feature comparison matrix?
http://cvs.zope.org/ZODB3/Doc/storages.html?rev=1

> Sorry.
> We found it is because of a strange uploaded file(45M). After we deleted
> it and packed, the DB size
> went back to 1.5G. After that we upload it again. And the DB size didn't
> jump this time. sign...

I conclude that you imagined it ;-)

--
Toby Dickenson