[ZODB-Dev] Is anyone *actually* using ZODB versions?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jan 29 07:34:29 EST 2004

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote at 2004-1-27 12:52 -0500:

>>I'd like to know, however,
>>if anyone is *actually* using this feature.
>

> We do use it occasionally.
>
>   Our latest use has been a change in a life ZCatalog indexing
>   structure (we had to convert several "FieldIndex"es to
>   "DateIndex"es and then reindex the large catalog).
>   Thanks to Versions, this was easy without service interruption.

I'm surprised.  Versions lock the affected objects, so
any other attempts to modify these structures would have caused
errors.

>   Of course, I know that this would also have been possible without
>   Versions -- but far less intuitive and easy.

I assume that this was all done from a script or from an
interactive prompt.  You could have done this in a single transaction,
possibly with subtransactions, no?  How did versions make this more
intuitive or easy?

Jim