[ZODB-Dev] Is anyone *actually* using ZODB versions?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jan 29 13:19:51 EST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote at 2004-1-29 07:34 -0500:
>> We do use it occasionally.
>>
>>   Our latest use has been a change in a life ZCatalog indexing
>>   structure (we had to convert several "FieldIndex"es to
>>   "DateIndex"es and then reindex the large catalog).
>>   Thanks to Versions, this was easy without service interruption.
>
>I'm surprised.  Versions lock the affected objects, so
>any other attempts to modify these structures would have caused
>errors.

Our internet service is read from the internet and
modified by our editorial team. Our colleagues do not
(usually) work after 18 hours but customers use the service round
the clock.

>>   Of course, I know that this would also have been possible without
>>   Versions -- but far less intuitive and easy.
>
>I assume that this was all done from a script or from an
>interactive prompt.  You could have done this in a single transaction,
>possibly with subtransactions, no?  How did versions make this more
>intuitive or easy?

With a version, you do it in the usual ZMI way: you use its menus, fill its
forms, press its buttons, immediately see the effect of your
actions. Precisely, how you already did it in the development
environment...

When you do it in a script, you need to look up all relevant
methods, be very careful about calling them with the right
arguments (in the right position), lack the explanations
in the forms, get much worse feedback about the effects of your
calls...

It is possible but it is far less easy and intuitive...

--
Dieter