[ZODB-Dev] conflict resolution for PersistentList

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue May 25 12:16:10 EDT 2004

[Thomas Guettler, to Diez B. Roggisch]
> I would not store data in a persistent list.
> As far as I know the data is stored in a python
> list. Every time you change it self._p_changed is
> set. This means all data in the list is part of the
> transaction.

True, true, and true.

> Your database will grow fast.

That part we don't know about.  I'm not sure anyone understands what Diez is
really doing (we've seen little actual code here!), but he earlier said
something that suggested he was building his own tree structure, with
persistent lists as the leaf nodes.

> Try to use btrees. BTrees have conflict resolution
> and not the whole "list" needs to be stored if it gets
> changed.

Sounds like good advice to me, but it was given before without visible
consequence so far.