[ZODB-Dev] proposal for util renaming

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun May 30 16:28:22 EDT 2004

[John Belmonte, on trying to track specific Collector issues]
> This is a fairly serious usability issue, especially for people that
> aren't interested in following the entire Zope project (e.g.,
> non-developers, users of ZODB only, etc.).  It seems to have been
> sitting there unresolved since 2001.  I know Zope is determined to eat
> its own cooking, but it would be nice to use Bugzilla or something.

I don't see that happening, at least for the obvious pragmatic reason:  it
appears that the people working on the Collector indeed ran out of both paid
and "spare" time for it in 2001.  Changing to a different system now would
also require substantial time and effort.  Who would do the work?

So, while I may be wrong (e.g., perhaps you'll do the work ...), I don't
expect anything to change here in the foreseeable future.

I should note that the people most able to make the changes probably appear
in the "Assign To" dropdown list of potential supporters.  Such people can
already get email notifications on specific issues by assigning themselves
to those issues.  So they don't have a personal itch here (the system
"already works" for them), so are unlikely to spend Memorial Day scratching
someone else's itch.