[ZODB-Dev] Zope 2.8.1 w Zeo 3.4.1 fails where standalone Zope 2.8.1 works

Erik Lundh gmane.el at compelcon.se
Wed Sep 21 04:17:09 EDT 2005

I have used Zeo with Zope 2.7.6 for some time now.
I currenty run Plone 2.05 on Zope 2.7.6 with zeo in production. Zope and Zeo
runs on the same
machine running Debian Linux 3.0 (i386).
I started using zeo to make debugging of a simple skin product easier.

Now I am moving to a fresh server w Debian Linux 3.1 where I am trying the
same setup with Zope 2.8.1.

Zope 2.8.1 with Zeo 3.4.1 fails utterly.

I can some times get instances running but eventually get transactions
failures, lost connections, and poskeyerrors.

It seems like smooth sailing when I run Zope 2.8.1 standalone.

But when I try to set up, from scratch, a split Zope 2.8.1/Zeo 3.4.1 I get
poskeyerrors, transactions that fails, etc.

I always clear out all things zope and reinstall zope from scratch. I only
use the code in Zope-2.8.1-final.tgz

Below is my setup and remove scripts
The resulting zope install works fine as long as I use a zope.conf for
standalone Zope.

Another fishy thing is that zeo fails to start when you uncomment the line
#user zope
in zeo.conf

Are there any additional test suites that I can run to nail down my problem?
I did run the standard make tests in Zope 2.8.1 with no failures.

/Erik Lundh
rs1:/usr/local/src/zope# cat zoperemove.sh
#!/bin/sh
user=zope
group=$user
instancehome=/var/lib/zope
zeohome=/var/lib/zeo
swhome=/usr/local/lib/zope
python="python"
sbinhome=/usr/local/sbin
initdhome="/etc/init.d"
zopever="Zope-2.8.1-final"

echo "Removing $zopever"

# stop zeo and zope
zeoctl stop
zopectl stop

#remove the startup
rm $initdhome/zope
rm $initdhome/zeo
update-rc.d zope remove
update-rc.d zeo remove
rm $sbinhome/zopectl
rm $sbinhome/zeoctl

rm -r $instancehome
rm -r $zeohome
rm -r $swhome

deluser $user
delgroup $group

rs1:/usr/local/src/zope# cat zopesetup.sh

#!/bin/sh
user="zope"
group="zope"
instancehome="/var/lib/zope"
zeohome="/var/lib/zeo"
zeoport=9573
swhome="/usr/local/lib/zope"
python="/usr/bin/python2.3"
compileall="/usr/lib/${python}/compileall.py"
plone="Plone-2.1"
base=".."
sbinhome="/usr/local/sbin"
initdhome="/etc/init.d"
zopever="Zope-2.8.1-final"

echo "Installing $zopever"

#create Linux user and group
addgroup --system $group
adduser  --system --disabled-login --ingroup $group \
--home $instancehome/var --no-create-home $user

rm -r $zopever
tar xvzf $zopever.tgz
cd $zopever

#build zope
./configure --prefix=$swhome --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.3
make clean
make

#create instances & set user/group for instances
mkdir -p $swhome
mkdir -p $instancehome
mkdir -p $zeohome
chown -R $user:$group $swhome
chown -R $user:$group $instancehome
chown -R $user:$group $zeohome
chmod -R g+w $instancehome
chmod -R g+w $zeohome

make install

# byte-compile the Python source files.
$python -O $compileall -q $swhome >/dev/null 2>&1

#create zope instance
$swhome/bin/mkzopeinstance.py -d $instancehome

#create zeo instance
$swhome/bin/mkzeoinstance.py $zeohome $zeoport

#set zeo as the zope storage
cp $base/zeoetc/zeo.conf $zeohome/etc
cp $base/zopeetc/zope.conf $instancehome/etc

#install important zope core products
cp -r $base/migratedCoreProducts/* $swhome/lib/python/Products

#install important zope instance products
cp -r $base/migratedInstanceProducts/* $instancehome/Products

#install plone in zope instance products
cp -r $base/$plone/* $instancehome/Products

#set user/group for instances AFTER copying
chown -R $user:$group $swhome
chown -R $user:$group $instancehome
chown -R $user:$group $zeohome
chmod -R g+w $instancehome
chmod -R g+w $zeohome

#Setup the startup
ln -s $instancehome/bin/zopectl $sbinhome/zopectl
ln -s $zeohome/bin/zeoctl $sbinhome/zeoctl
cp $base/init.d/zope $initdhome
cp $base/init.d/zeo  $initdhome
update-rc.d zope defaults #debian specific
update-rc.d zeo defaults #debian specific

# start zeo
zeoctl start
sleep 4

# start zope