[ZODB-Dev] IStorageIteration

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Feb 11 13:02:09 EST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:58 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the interface IStorageIteration says:
>
> class IStorageIteration(Interface):
>    """API for iterating over the contents of a storage
>
>    Note that this is a future API.  Some storages now provide an
>    approximation of this.
>
>    """
>
>    [...]
>
> ZODB.FileStorage.FileStorage is the only class in the current ZODB
> code that implements this.

I'm a little surprised.

> Also, this code isn't ZEO-compatible (apart from the fact that
> ClientStorage doesn't implement the interface).

How so?

> Are there any plans to complete this feature?

I would like to see this widely implemented. It is extremely useful.
In practice, even when using ZEO, it is easy to use the file storage
behind the ZEO.

Note, though, that it is more useful to use
ZODB.FileStorage.FileStorge.FileIterator directly as it  doesn't
require creating a a file-storage instance.

(BTW, the module arrangement is such that you can't access the
ZODB.FileStorage.FileStorge module directly as it gets replaced by the
class. You have to dig it out of sys.module. :( )

> We'd like to be able to iterate over transactions and their records
> through ZEO and we'd be happy to contribute (in the next days) so
> this works.

+1

Jim

--