[ZODB-Dev] Fixing POSKeyErrors :-)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 14:46:09 EST 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:

> There's also a problem that we made cross-database references so easy to
> make that they are made accidentally.

There's also no way to say "actually, I want to *move* this object to
this other storage.

Semantically, that's what my customer was trying to do...

> make them more explicit, at least optionally.  I think where people have
> gotten into trouble is where they've mounted content trees into other
> content trees and then moved objects between trees creating
> cross-database references accidentally.

Bingo. I should note that while I often make use of mounted storages for
two reasons:

1. More control over object cache contents
2. Different packing schedules for different sections of the tree
    (ie: imported content is packed to nothing straight away, other stuff
     is never packed if I can help it)

...I rarely create cross-database references.

> In the longer term, multi-database GC is an option. I believe this will
> be doable.

That would be handy, as would multi-database Undo as you mentioned later
in the thread.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk