[Zope-PTK] ZopePTK install - success and a ton of Qs

Darcy Clark darcyc@engin.umich.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:25:49 -0500

Mike,

thanks for the extensive and informative response to my email to the
list. Below is further feedback on some of the questions you raised :

> > Clicking on the "Breaking News" link in the Menu, I now see my new News
> > Item. I automatically looked for an edit button near my news item, but
> > obviously I have to go back to the My Stuff menu to do edits....if you
> > created the story or a 'super user', it might be more convenient to have
> > an edit button right here.
>
>     In fact, you are supposed to have the option to 'Edit news item' in
> the toolbar when you are viewing one, if you have permission to do so.
> Can you tell me what operations the toolbar does offer?

logged in as a member, viewing an news article that I wrote, I do indeed
see editing commands associated with the particular article....cool

> > Question...I created a link called Yahoo....how do I refer to it easily
> > in news items and documents...is there or will there be a Glossary-type
> > feature that allows content to be easily refered to and included in
> > other content ?  (this request will be familiar to Frontier users)
>
>     There is no such facility right now.  This is a desired feature.  At
> the PTK someone (Itmar?) requested a way to register objects in such a way
> that they cannot just 'dissappear' at the creators whim, because this
> breaks links outside the site.  This seems to be part and parcel with that
> sort of functionality.
>
>     What should such a registry (glossary?) look like?  How would you
> want it to work, and how would you like to use it?  How can this be
> implemented without making the difference between 'publishing' and
> 'registering' very confusing?  Who should own the registered versions of
> objects?  Perhaps there might be the option of multiple registries with the
> register's owner owning it's contents.  If instead the submitter owns it,
> should they be able to unregister at will, or only by the register's
> owner's leave?  I suppose this is easy enough to delegate with
> permissions.  Should the registered version track changes in the original
> object?  How do other packages handle this?

The glossary features of Frontier might be worth looking at in this
case....essentially it is a substitution table with objectname-value
pairs. When the site is rendered or viewed, text surrounded by
"objectname", is replaced with the value from the objectname:value
pair....kind of like a dictionary I suppose. FRom memory the glossary
can contain a wide variety of objects....images, URLs etc....making it
very easy to link to regularly used images and links.....for instance
the keyword "Zope" could be matched to http://www.zope.org....."logo"
could be matched to http://www.zope.org/Images/zopelogo.jpg

Actually even though I have yet to delve into the Catalog features of
Zope yet, it occurs to me that you might already have most of the
features of Frontier's glossary mechanism built already....all you need
is an easy syntax for including, refering to catalogued objects. I need
to look at the Catalog features before I am able to offer anything else
constructive on this...

> > Oops....hold on..I now see the Publish News Item option in the menu. I
> > assume as I am logged in as a 'super-user', my content will be
> > automatically published and won't need reviewing.
>
>     Actually, no.  There is a cool feature of the PortalCatalog which
> makes this a bit confusing.  Regardless of who you are, anything you
> create starts out as 'private'.  The reason you can see these items anyway
> is because you own them (or are the superuser/manager) and the Catalog
> knows it so it does not prevent you from seeing them in searches (such as
> 'Breaking News', the search box, etc).  You can tell whether an item has
> been published or not by looking at the toolbar while viewing it.  Beside
> the broken image where the icon should be (:-/), it will read "'private'
> object_id", "'pending' object_id", or "'published' object_id".  This
> reflects the object's state in the reviewing system.

I get it now....thanks for the explanation.

One final comment/suggestion......have you guys tried editthispage.com ?
(I'm sure you have) I kind of have high hopes that the PTK will be the
open-source equivalent of what Manila is to Frontier....but obviously
going beyond what Manila is and does.

cheers,

Darcy

> Mike.
>
> --
> Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
> Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228
> by day, super villain by night.         phone: 519-884-2434

Ph: (734) 764 3377
Email: darcyc@engin.umich.edu
'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate'
..... Steven Wright