[Zope-PTK] feature: calendar

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:26:52 -0600 (CST)

Hi everyone,

Since my last feature request produced so much interesting discussion, I
thought I'd throw this one out too.

In my context, and I suspect others too, I would love to have a mechanism
for adding events to my portal. The actual machinery would be very similar
to the existing link and news items. At our school site, it would be great
if secretaries, athletic directors, student groups, community groups, etc.
could all contribute events to a large school/community event calendar.
Then we could display upcoming events on the homepage by getting them from
ZCatalog.

Just like the news categories I mentioned before, we'd like to be able to
filter these events so that a student at the high school wouldn't see all
of the elementary school events. Similarly, a parent with two kids, one at
the middle schol and one at the high school, could adjust their
preferences to see those events.

Perhaps it would be possible then to subclass the generic "event" class
to make a sporting event class that would include information on the
opponent, final score, etc. Then we could display up to date sports scores
for all of our teams right on the home page.

Does this make sense?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson        | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S. | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/