[Zope-PTK] FYI: Issue tracking

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:17:41 +0000

At 11:47 pm -0800 17/2/00, Brian Lenihan wrote:
>I have to say I beg to differ.   Part of the open source model is to
>release early and often.  I personally don't care if early releases
>are incomplete or buggy, I just want to see if there is something
>there which interests me enough do something about helping to make
>it work in my mostly non-existent spare time.

>I'll bet you cash money the tracker will be ready for general use
>quicker if you just throw it out and see what happens.

I can say I see both sides of the argument here. I think Brian is
right in that things will happen quicker if the issue tracker were
released (in whatever form).

However, I remember the stick the DC guys got when they released
chunks of the Zope system sans documentation. I can well see how they
DC troops would't want *that* kind of exposure again.

Perhaps a compromise is possible in that the issue tracker could be
made available via CVS? That would 'raise the entry fee' to the level
of those people that have experience of cvs and are (almost by
definition) comfortable with working with evolving software. The
problem is that the PTK is so cool that I'm chomping at the bit to
put it into production :) ** slaps wrist **

tone

------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2