[Zope-PTK] Refactoring PTK, Redux

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 15:46:19 -0400 (EDT)

Tres Seaver writes:
 > We have just embarked on a big internal project to be built on
 > top of the PTK.  This is a Good Thing (TM) for the PTK (we think),
 > because it motivates us to make tangible improvements to the product,
 > toward the goads outlined in the new vision statement for the PTK
 > (http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/OnceAndFuturePTK).

Good news!

 > To that end, one of the first bits of "housekeeping" we would like
 > to do is to refactor some of the weird dependency inversions which
 > grew up between PTKBase and PTKDemo:
 >
 >  * Move all the "concrete" PortalContent objects from PTKBase to
 >    PTKDemo:
 >
 >  * Remove Discussable as a base for all PortalContent derivatives,
 >    and register it as a separate base for ZClasses.

Sounds like all concrete PortalContent objects will have to be
ZClasses then, right?  I suppose this may not be technically true for
everyone, but we will certainly want all of our content to be discussable.

Given the above, it sounds good.  I'm still hoping that it will be
possible for a content manager to change the appearance of a type of
PortalContent without editing the ZClass itself.  Otherwise sites that
host multiple portals can expect problems (BTW: this probably isn't us).

 > We also have some changes in hand to make PTK play nice with Zope 2.2,
 > which we will be checking in ASAP.

Very good news!