[Zope-PTK] Refactoring PTK, Redux

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:48:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Dan L. Pierson wrote:

<snip>

> Sounds like all concrete PortalContent objects will have to be
> ZClasses then, right?  I suppose this may not be technically true for
> everyone, but we will certainly want all of our content to be discussable.

Not necessarily -- if you create your own Python product, you can certainly
add Discussable to the content classes (base/concrete) it registers.  I
merely want to avoid dictating that all portals *must* have the "stock"
NewsItem/Document/File/Link/Image types available (which is forced by the
current packaging).

> Given the above, it sounds good.  I'm still hoping that it will be
> possible for a content manager to change the appearance of a type of
> PortalContent without editing the ZClass itself.  Otherwise sites that
> host multiple portals can expect problems (BTW: this probably isn't us).

This goal is actually a Hard Problem (TM).  I don't see a general solution
for this;  a given site could require that each PortalContent class
in the portal is designed to pick up its skin via acquisition, and perhaps
supply a default skin to be used as a fallback.