[Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:25:49 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
To: "Kevin Dangoor" <kid@kendermedia.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] Getting it all to work ;-)

> > I *do* think it would be nice to make a package so that people can
download
> > and install Zope, then download and untar the PTK package and be all
set.
> > That should be easy to do.
>
> Well, my view is that LoginManager is so generically useful that is
> should form part of the main Zope source and so, like ZCatalog, should
> be there when you install Zope. I might make a post about this area to
> the Zope-Dev list in the near future...

It *is* generically usable, but I think it needs its tires kicked a little
more and some more UI stuff added before it should become a part of Zope.
When you can trivially use it in place of a UserFolder, then it should
probably replace UserFolder, IMHO.

http://www.zope.org/Members/tazzzzz/PTK

> What didn't work with CVS? It was quite hairy but I have got it working
> and I'd like to help :-)

Basically, it complains that my passphrase is incorrect. I'm *sure* I'm
using the right passphrase, and we're pretty sure that my key is set up
correctly...

> > I should qualify this by stating that the "easy to install snapshot"
would
> > still not be intended for use in a real environment (any more than
> > Membership is now). It's more because there is a lot of curiousity
around
> > PTK, but getting PTK installed right now is a pain, even for people who
have
> > CVS running.
>
> No kidding... ;-)

I've stuck a complete snapshot in that location above. I called it a
"convenience release". In theory, you can install a fresh Zope, untar this
package, and you've got the PTK. I added the caveat that there are lots of
bugs and that you shouldn't use it for anything but trying to add features
and track down bugs.

> > I haven't cataloged Membership, and I wouldn't catalog this thing
either...

> Urk, my brain is falling apart, what is Membership and how does it works
> (links are a perfectly acceptabel answer ;-)

Membership is basically the result of me pulling the UI methods out of PTK
for Membership. So, you can do membership sorts of things without the rest
of PTK. (It basically just sets up a LoginManager with a functional
UserSource and the UI stuff.)

Kevin