[Zope-PTK] Good Practice?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:41:14 +0000

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> In other words, you want to customize your PTK while keeping the door
> open for future upgrades.  You have hit on a major problem and the
> current solution is terribly inadequate IMHO: there is a
> "refresh_interface" method which wipes out your changes and installs a
> new interface.
>
> That's why the documentation is lacking.  What do you think would be a
> good strategy?  I'll give you some of the options I've come up with if
> you like.

That'd be great...

It's a thorny issue, though, and one which affects any
code/template/html that is 'supposed' to be customized. Exactly the same
problem exists with Squishdot. The solution I've been employing is to
try to have a fixed set of interfaces that change as infrequently as
possible, and post 'pathces' on a 'How to Upgrade Squishdot' page which
show how to update the old demo code. Peopel can then feed this into
their own judgement about what needs to eb placed into their customized
version.

...interested in better solutions :-S

cheers,

Chris