[Zope-PTK] Status shouldn't depend on Location

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 23:25:31 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > This is debatable, but I believe it would be more sensible to
> > physically move the object to a "published" area and leave its role to
> > permission mappings alone.
>
> I dunno if anyone has said this yet, and I know I'm late in replying but
> I disagree.
> Particularly for Swishdot, the content should stay where it is and it's
> status should change rather than it's status a result of it's
> location...
>
> If you look at how Squishdot sites present articles (which I'd kindof
> like to keep :S), they don't change their location depending on whether
> they're reviewed or not.
>
> I know munging the role to permission mappings sucks and I wish there
> was a better way. The location think is elegant but a bit limiting
> IMH(umble)O.

The 'portal_workflow' tool will be the locus for this policy:  the
"sample" implementation which ships under PTKDemo/DemoPortal will
likely retain the current, "staionary" semantic;  other implementations
may not, especially for content which needs to change "ownership" when
it becomes publicly viewable.

Tres Seaver                          tseaver@digicool.com
Digital Creations   "Zope Dealers"   http://www.zope.org