[Zope-CMF] Sharing bits of Skins between sites

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:46:46 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> > Sorry, now I'm showing my lack of knowledge. I thought DirectoryView's were the
> > things that picked up stuff from the filesystem?
>
> That's right--my suggestion is to put the files on the filesystem
> instead of in the ZODB.

Nope, I was only using Swishdot as an example. The actual situation is a
scripter who wants to use a some skin layers in several seperate CMF's.

> > What I'm thinking of doing to get around my problem is to haev a
> > 'PlaceholderFolder' object that when asked for it's contents will
> > restrictedTraverse off somewhere else and get it's contents from there. Then I
> > can haev one fodler up in the root and add placeholders in the portal_skins of
> > any CMF instances that I want to 'share' that skin layer with.
> >
> > Am I making any sense? (where's the red bull when I need it ;-)
>
> Yes you are.  And no you can't do that. :-)  Not currently, anyway.  It
> would break security if you could.

How? (if I'm using restricted traverse...)

>  That's not to say there isn't a way
> that it could be done safely.  Perhaps you're looking for a portal_skins
> derivative that uses simply restrictedTraverse() to construct layers.

Well, I was looking at something that felt more like a DirectoryView but I think
you're right. Now, any suggestions as to how I'd go about implementing such a
beast? ;-)

cheers,

Chris