[Zope-PTK] what happened to the wizards?

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman@oslo.pgs.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:57:15 +0100

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> lucas,
>
> the wizards (and with it the need to import monolithic .zexp files) are
> thankfully gone. what you see in your portal (and the dogbowl) is the new
> system at work.
>
> i think the reasoning behind dropping people into the metadata screen
> instead of the content edit screen is because the more metadata you provide
> the easier it will be to search for your content item.
>
> jens

Jens,

This is -from a usability point of view- a step in the wrong direction.
I see the point that the installation gets more robust, and I am very
glad for that.

However, the wizard where there for a good reason: to guide the user
through the creation of potentially complex content. The Wizard product
provided some standard functionality in multi page form input so that
the site builder could focus on the pages themselves. I made a few
wizards in a community site based on PTK 0.7. This site now has to be
ported to 1.0, and I wonder how to tackle this.

For most user of a site the distinction between metadata and content is
irrelevant. In most sites the metadata tags used will be different for
different types of content. The add and edit screens should reflect
this.

I guess we will end up with dumping people in the edit screen of the
particular content type. There they can enter both content and the
relevant metadata tags. Or is there an easy way to 'retrofit' the Wizard
product?

Regards, Lucas
--
Lucas Hofman
PGS Seres                                        tel: +47 67514059