[Zope-PTK] migrating content

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:23:48 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:

> The install docs say the following about moving content from a PTK 0.7
> portal to a PTK 0.9 portal:
>
>   Existing instances of the sample content types (Document,
>   File, Image, Link, NewsItem) must be "reseated" to
>   fix up their class name in the ZODB.  To perform this
>   operation, first update your PTK (see above), and then
>   view the following URL::
>
>     http://host.your.tld/path/to/portal/manage_migrate_contents
>
>   This method recursively walks your portal, finding and
>   replacing instances of the sample PTK content with
>   instances whose class is in the new, "blessed" location.
>
> I exported a few items from our production portal and imported them in
> the checked-out-today-brand-new development portal. This used to
> generate an error (see tracker item 133) but works fine now (thank you
> Tres).
>
> As far as I can see the items are viewable, searchable and editable. So
> the question is: What is the use of the manage_migrate_contents method?

Hmm, your export/import has already accomplished what the
method does (which is to make sure that the objects "know" about
the new location of their classes, which moved from PTKBase to
PTKDemo).

The method is intended for use in the case where you have upgraded
a portal instance "in place".  I would venture that export from old
import into new is actually a cleaner solution.