[Zope-PTK] Tools

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:40:00 -0500

Lucas Hofman wrote:
> Thanks again. I start to get the grip of customizing Demoportal.
> However, it is still DemoPortal being customized, and not 'Customized
> Portal'. It is looking that nearly everything in PTKDemo will be
> modified/replaced. If that is typical for most users of the PTK, a
> how-to could describe building a 'myPortal' product only based on the
> inferfaces in PTKBase, including the Zclasses needed to instanciate
> this.

Yes, a howto would be useful.

> Next question: I want to add some attributes to each user (i.e. first
> name, last name, working company etc.). In the DemoPortal product, in
> the portal/ZODBMemberFolder/MemberClass ZClass there are 2 property
> sheets: CommonProperties and SystemProperties. The questions are:
> A: CommonProperties looks like the place to add the properties described
> above. Or should I create another property sheet?

My current thinking is that we should eliminate the
CommonProperties/SystemProperties concept and simply set/get member
properties. This has already been accomplished by the new MemberDataTool
and some revised DTML (in CVS).

> B: What is the reason behind having multiple property sheets?

I'm sure the theory was that a member could have "system-level"
properties like name and password, "common" properties like full name,
and other application-specific properties.  But as they stand now, you
can't secure property sheets individually.  So I don't see a reason to
continue them.

> C: Where is the email adress property of a user?

In the member data.

Shane