[Zope-CMF] case sensitive usernames?

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:54:48 +0100

* marc lindahl <marc@bowery.com> [010726 21:17]:
> Is it me or is this list getting too sarcastic?

Nah, that wan't sarcastic IMO.  Dieter's reponses are always concise and
interesting.  It can be easy to mistake conciseness for impatience or
sarcasm, but that's the nature of email, right?  I love the thought of
a world where people still have keyboards without a shift key and less
than 7bit gateways.  I suppose you had to rub the VDU with an acrylic
cloth to make it fluoresce?  Dieter, you're showing your age ;-)

> I mention it only having recalled reading this somewhere in a usability
> guideline (let me try to dig up the reference), and having a couple of new
> users complain to me that login was broken (when it turned out they forgot
> that they had, for example, capitalized the first letter when signing up).

You definitely have a point here about usability.  It would be simple
enough to force usernames to lowercase.  In your email example,
however, it wouldn't be a problem, since email addresses are a
completely separate field from user names.  In one system I've made,
I'm emailing people notifications whenever a document in which
they've expressed an interest changes; it's easy to do, and it doesn't
matter what case their username was stored in.

seb