[Zope-CMF] Dublin Core

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:47:16 +0100

* Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com> [010615 02:22]:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Tres Seaver wrote:
> >

> >>Writing an adapter which fits *this* interface onto an arbitrarily
> >>dumb content object is much simpler and cleaner than one which must
> >>be extended for each service which, now or in the future, needs to
> >>use aspects (having started with one, discussions, we have added
> >>workflow history, and are considering metadata;  others will be
> >>coming).

<snip>

> You just proposed an additional one, because it made for a more
> flexible, extensible, easier-to-maintain metadata tool
> implementation;  I can already envision at least several other
> possible uses:

<snip examples>

I've been implementing a CompositeContainer class on and off for ages
now. the the biggest problem for me was making its implementation not
require changes to existing content classes.  I ended up managing to
put all the extra funtionality into a mixin, but it *still*
requires changes to any content classes I want to use in my
framework.  A common interface for adding opaque attributes to classes
would solve this problem beautifully.

So I'll second the aspectbag / decorator version of shane's proposal.

seb