[Zope-CMF] WYSIWYG HTML document edit form

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:16:40 +0200

> So I uploaded my WYSIWYG Javascript HTML editor thingy, incorporated into
> the standard CMF document_edit_form -
[...]
> Comments and feedback welcome! I'd like to develop it further. For
example,
> the select boxes for colours, sizes, styles and fonts could be set to only
> show values that are in the default_stylesheet (or whatever stylesheet
> you're using). Any ideas on the best way to do this? I thought of using
> ZStylesheets to replace the normal stylesheet (so the select boxes could
> just iterate through the values in the Zstylesheet).

Good idea! We were thinking about something similar (though I think
ZStylsheets is a bit more complex than necessary).

> Alternatively, I thought of creating a "Site StyleGuide" - the managing
> editor of a site would be able to create a list of allowed colours, fonts,
> sizes, etc.  and anyone editing layouts or documents anywhere in the site
> would only be able to pick from this list of allowed values. Does that
make
> sense?

Binding it to the stylesheets seems to be more straightforward. On the other
hand, having the "Site Style Guide" autocreate a stylesheet AND the stuff
you need for the HTML editor would be cool, too ...

> Also, perhaps the button for adding links could have an option for showing
> list of internal links (pages within the same site), to make it easy to
find
> them without having two browser windows open?

Very good. Same for images!

We at iuveno did HTML WYSIWYG editing in Kontentor, too. We used a slightly
changed "IEMethod". But your code is much more compact (e.g. you use a
single gif instead of many, and you don't need additional javascript files)
and seems to render faster. I am still evaluating CMF and do not really like
it too much, but there is some chance that we start porting Kontentor stuff
to CMF anyway.

You should maybe do a browser check to make sure that non-IE users do at
least get the basic view. Another cool thing would be if one could use both
HTML and structured text on the same document, e.g. structured text from a
non-MS browser, and WYSIWYG from IE. That isn't trivial I guess ...

I've seen in the "source view" that the WYSIWYG editor is not
XHMTL-compliant (upper-case letters in tags etc.). Can that be changed? It
seems to be hard-wired into the Microsoft code you are using, yes?

One last question: What's the license of your "thingy"?

Cheers

Joachim