[Zope-CMF] Mailing list anti-dogbowl?

Chui Tey teyc@cognoware.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:38:16 +1000

> Why should they be seen as mutually exclusive?  While we're not there yet,
> we should be looking at having the CMF *integrate* with email, not replace
> it.  Using the CMF as a smart archive (and having the CMF use mailling
> lists for change notification and discussions) is an "eventually" kind of
> thing - but we have some earnest interest in heading there, and some
> incentive...
>
> Ken Manheimer
> klm@digicool.com

I broached the question because I couldn't tell from going to the dogbowl
what new content has been added and in the end found the mailing list a more
effective solution.

I agree with Dieter that offline reviewing is one of the key strengths of a
mailing list. While I'm not suggesting the following is the way to go, the
alternative is using the NNTP protocol I think Evan or Tres (?) suggested a
while ago for discussable content. Most news readers cache content and also
presents discussions in a threaded form.

There are two styles of web/email integration I've come across:
1) Mailman
    Perhaps CMF catalog can index Mailman archives
2) Frontier
    Notifies people through email whenever a new article has been added
    I can't recall if the article content was included in the email as well