[Zope-CMF] Sneak preview - workflow

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 15:35:26 +0100

* Shane Hathaway <shane@digicool.com> [010522 13:47]:
> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > Come on now, it's not fair to play games with everyone.
> > It looks amazing, it's 'fully operational' - hand over the code ;-)
>
> Some have pondered keeping the source closed and selling it.  I can
> understand that thought--this is a new direction for Zope and DC.  But I
> think if the source is open, the community involvement will help move it
> forward, while if the source is closed it will just stagnate and
> eventually be replaced.
>
> What do you think?

DC should do whatever they need to do to keep profitable.  If this
means closing off some of the CMF code, then so be it.  I wouldn't
want DC to struggle because of the Open Source decision, and I'm
immensely grateful for what we've already been given.

Having said that, however:

1) DC committed themselves to OSS for a very good reason - essentially
   the ones you outlined above.  DC opened up the previously closed
   software, ZEO, for the same reasons.  Either those reasons still
   stand and the original business model (consulting, etc) remains
   sound, or the OSS experiment was a mistake.

2) However, if DC sees add-on modules as part of consulting work, that
   makes sense.
   Isn't Workflow part of the core, though?  It is core features like
   this which will encourage new users to embrace the CMF and help
   develop it further, make it more stable, popular, and feature-rich,
   and ultimately help DC sell 'modules'.

Thanks for opening up this question.  As long as DC keeps transparent
its decision making process where these decisions effect the rest of the
community, I'm happy, and I'll support whatever DC's conclusions may
be (although I'd be very sad to see your latest work get closed off,
and personally, I think it would be a mistake).

However, I'm a bit confused: could you explain how this is a new
direction? In particular, what are the business requirements driving
the recent flurry of CMF improvements?

Cheers,

seb