[Zope-CMF] SharePoint Portal Server from Micro$oft

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:40:00 +0100

* Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> [010530 16:57]:
> > 2. "...with Corel, Adobe and others commited to providing extensions to
> > their file types so that SPS can recognise them, there's an oportunity for
> > third parties to use SPS to build workflow tools"
>
> This is the key, M$ play with the other big boys to make sure they all keep
> their respective monopolies.

Absolutely.

> 2. We, as a community, find people who know who these apps work and make
> damn sure the CMF supports these as native content types with the ability to
> upload, download, checkin, checkout, put through workflow, extrac metadata,
> catalog, etc. I think this is more likely, in fact a lot of the work for MS
> Office docs has already been done, the others would be really nice ;-)

This would be lovely, fantastic, wonderful, blah.  I wonder how
feasible it is, though?  What exactly are the document-native
requirements (put through workflow, upload, download, checkin, etc,
are all generic)?  Off the top of my head (actually, copied from your
email), they are:

1) extract metadata
2) extract language content for indexing
3) display in web-friendly format

The other question is, what are the most common formats?  Here's my
guess:

Word		*
Excel
Powerpoint
Photoshop	*
PDF		*
Illustrator
CAD

I've marked applications which I know can be unmunged on 'nix with a
star.  Anyone else for anything else?  I'm very enthusiastic about
this and I'd be happy to donate some free time to supporting formats
properly.  I made a CMF Word Document the other day, but I'm not happy
with how images display in the HTML version yet.  However, how
feasible is it to hope to support all the main formats?

seb