[Zope-CMF] SharePoint Portal Server from Micro$oft

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:15:10 +0100

> 2. "...with Corel, Adobe and others commited to providing extensions to
> their file types so that SPS can recognise them, there's an oportunity for
> third parties to use SPS to build workflow tools"

This is the key, M$ play with the other big boys to make sure they all keep
their respective monopolies.

I see only a couple of options:

1. DC approaches Corel, Adobe and the like and gets them to write extensions
for the CMF that deal with their file types. This isn't really in Corel,
Adobe (et al) 's interests as they would be socially pressured to do this
work as open source and would find it hard to sell the resulting extensions.
I may be wrong about this of course ;-)

2. We, as a community, find people who know who these apps work and make
damn sure the CMF supports these as native content types with the ability to
upload, download, checkin, checkout, put through workflow, extrac metadata,
catalog, etc. I think this is more likely, in fact a lot of the work for MS
Office docs has already been done, the others would be really nice ;-)

Anyway, that's just my £0.02, what do people think?

cheers,

Chris