[Zope-CMF] keeping a customized CMF in sync with CVS-CMF

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:53:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Joachim Schmitz wrote:

> I don't think, that this is different. Or let me put it
> differently:
>
> The only straightforward idea to make a german (only) CMF I see
> at the moment, would be to make a customized version of CMF.
> Which is hard to keep in sync with CVS-CMF.

In the future:

 - You should be able to build an "I18N-aware" skin, which uses
   something like gettext to indirect all "software" string
   literals through a message catalog.  This skin *must* be
   maintained separately;  the overhead of maintaining the
   message catalog, and of indirecting through it, are costs
   which not all users of the CMF will want to bear.

 - The CMF itself should expose all of the mechanisms on which
   the skins depend in I18N-friendly ways.  For instance, the
   paths for redirects should be computed using the types or
   actions tools;  the actions tool itself could probably be
   extended to work with the message catalog to internationalize
   all the action titles;  Message strings emitted from software
   (errors, confirmations, etc.) should use an indirection
   mechanism, etc.

We aren't there, but we have significant inducement to get there,
in the relatively near term.  One consequence of this design
choice should be to decrease the significance of the "generic"
skin (as currently shipped with CMFDefault/CMFDecor);  we may
need to move the non-presentation elements (the PythonScripts
which serve as POST targets) into a different layer, to make them
easier to reuse across skins.