[Zope-CMF] topic and subtopics i18n

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
10 Jul 2002 13:29:15 -0400

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 10:14, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

> I am sure this is a known issue and maybe already discussed.
>
> It is not possible to add a subtopic-name, which contains illegal
> characters such as german-umlauts. So when a topic is displayed we
> cannot use right spelled subtopics but need to spell them with ae, oe,
> ue etc.

This is a generic Zope2 issue:  object IDs are restricted to a very
small set of characters (see OFS.ObjectManager._checkValidId).  The
original intent was to keep "meaningful URLs", but the inclusion of the
space character messes that up already, as it needs to be escaped.

> Will it be possible in the near future?

Depends on your definition of "near".  Zope3 removes these restrictions,
allowing full Unicode "names" (jargon shift from "IDs") for objects, but
it won't have the "forward-compatibility" wrinkles worked out for quite
some time.  Zope 2.7 will have a backport of the Translation service
from Zope3, as well as the 'i18n:' support for ZPT;  perhaps you could
lobby for relaxing the restriction on IDs in that release via the Zope
collector:

  http://collector.zope.org/Zope