[Zope-CMF] topic and subtopics i18n

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:11:49 +0200

Jan Ulrich Hasecke writes:
 > I am sure this is a known issue and maybe already discussed.
Of course, though not necessary in the context of topics...

 > It is not possible to add a subtopic-name, which contains illegal
 > characters such as german-umlauts. So when a topic is displayed we
 > cannot use right spelled subtopics but need to spell them with ae, oe,
 > ue etc.
 >
 > Will it be possible in the near future?
Maybe, in the farer future.

It is a restriction imposed by a central Zope component, the
"OFS.ObjectManager". It was there in old times to have
an easy correspondence between URLs and the ids of Zope objects,
one of Zope's strength'.

When you think in a world wide context, URLs can contain any
Unicode character (after decoding). How do you want to map
them onto Zope ids (and vice versa)?

I expect, the restriction will be lifted, when Zope ids are
themselves Unicode strings. This will still take some time...

Dieter