[Zope-CMF] newbie confusion over admin via manager API versus portal API

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
12 Jul 2002 12:28:32 -0400

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 11:33, Jeffrey_Franks@i-o.com wrote:

> Only a newbie would ask a question like this.
>
> I'm confused regarding the manager API versus the portal API and the
> behaviors of each.
>
> When I'm in manager API, there is no selection for adding a "Portal Folder".
> When I add "Folder" from manager API, I don't see it from the portal API.
> The icons look the same from the manager interface, but the objects they
> represent are different. This leads to part of the confusion.
>
> So, I end up adding a "Portal Folder" from the portal API (so that it is
> viewable),
> and then put a 'dtml method' named index_html inside it from the manager API
> (because I can't or don't know how to do that from the portal API). This doesn't
> seem right.
>
> However,
> when I do that, I loose the skinning and content fills the entire page, even
> when I
> declare <dtml-var standard_html_header> and <dtml-var standard_html_footer>
> inside index_html.
>
> I'm must be doing something wrong, and I'm just not getting it.
> Can someone help me get on track?

Generally, you want to add stuff using the "CMI" (the "content" UI);
you *can* add things using the ZMI, but some of the machinery won't be
fully engaged:

  - Select "CMFCore" content from the ZMI add list.

  - Select "Portal Folder" from the form, supply an ID, and click "OK".

Better ZMI integration is an ongoing, but lower-priority, goal.
"Patches accepted." :)