[Zope-CMF] ZPT skin issues

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:58:54 -0500

>                I am right now working on designing a CMF site
> which will have discussion boards, quiz, user comments etc. We
> have the HTML pages ready for our website. But i was stuckup on
> how-to make skins out of those html pages. I had a look at the
> skins in CMF and i got quite confused. My basic problem is whether
> i should breakup the html pages into different parts like it is
> done in CMF skins or not or just embed TAL statements within the
> pages.

you will need to push the structure of the dynamic parts/templates into a
main_template
this will 'define-slots' that your other pages will 'fill'. this requires
Zen if you are unfamiliar
with ZPT.  But once you start 'doing it' ... you can figure it out.. just
takes a bit of thought
and exprimentation at first.

> Further i wanted to know how that if 2 people are working on the
> same template how do we achieve this without and loss of any
> modifications done by both these
> people.

you will put all of this stuff on the Filesystem using FSDirectoryViews
(portal_skins/contents)
has these folders with special icons.  contents are on the Filesystem.  you
will then
use CVS or some other proper Version control merchanism to keep them in
sync/merge conflicts.
i would suggest CMFStaging but I dont think you up to it.. or you could give
it a shot.

~runyaga