[Zope-CMF] cmf or plone?

Kelley, Sean SKelley@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:55:01 -0700

Hi,
Should I start using plone for an intranet instead of starting down the road
of plain CMF (1.3b)?  I have already started with CMF but realize that it
may require a log of customization.  Does plone have some big advantages for
an intranet that should be considered?  What are the biggest differences
between plone and CMF?  Is it just a well developed skin?  If so, what are
the items that make it well developed?

Should I use plone now expecting a relatively easy upgrade to v1.0 (since
its so close) or should I go with CMF instead because of my need to start
something? (The warning on the plone download page has me a little concerned
that I will be left with no easy upgrade path)- What is the anticipated
release of 1.0?

If I choose either CMF or plone will my items (news, files, etc) be able to
me moved between the two if I choose the alternate product instead down the
road a few months?

Things to be done on my intranet:
all of the cmf basic stuff, shared calendars, some sort of document
management via scanned docs and some search/categorization mechanism, etc.

Any guidance or links to help would be appreciated.  Just want to pick the
one that will be the best...or at least not lock me into a way of doing
things.

-Sean