[Zope-CMF] cmf or plone?

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:15:37 -0500

> Hi,
> Should I start using plone for an intranet instead of starting down the
road
> of plain CMF (1.3b)?  I have already started with CMF but realize that it
> may require a log of customization.  Does plone have some big advantages
for
> an intranet that should be considered?  What are the biggest differences
> between plone and CMF?  Is it just a well developed skin?  If so, what are
> the items that make it well developed?

cmf.zope.org is what default CMF looks like
plone.org is what default Plone looks like

> Should I use plone now expecting a relatively easy upgrade to v1.0 (since
> its so close) or should I go with CMF instead because of my need to start
> something? (The warning on the plone download page has me a little
concerned
> that I will be left with no easy upgrade path)- What is the anticipated
> release of 1.0?

it should be relatively painless.  but we are not going to really
'officially' support it.  but there have been
people who have been able to follow the upgrade path reasonably well.  and
most of the people are far
from CMF gurus.

> If I choose either CMF or plone will my items (news, files, etc) be able
> me moved between the two if I choose the alternate product instead down
the
> road a few months?

yes they are all compatible.

> Things to be done on my intranet:
> all of the cmf basic stuff, shared calendars, some sort of document
> management via scanned docs and some search/categorization mechanism, etc.

I would look at ZCTextIndex in cvs of zope.org.  or your searching.  'shared
calendars'
is sometihng you are going to have to code.

> Any guidance or links to help would be appreciated.  Just want to pick the
> one that will be the best...or at least not lock me into a way of doing
> things.

neither way should 'lock you out' of the other.  there is plenty of
information i believe you can find on the plone site and previous
emails on the CMF mailing list.

cheers,
~runyaga
p.s. there is commerical support soon to be offered from Plone Industries, a
loose coupled group of consultants from around the world.
There is also support from the company where I work, clearnoodle.com