[Zope-CMF] Compound elements status

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:40:27 +0000 (UTC)

Max M  <maxm@mxm.dk> wrote:
> I strongly disagrre with the idea that all of the elements should be put
> into a folder. What if you want your compound document to be a folder?
> Then you would have all kind of strange little objects inside it.
>
> Also if the elements is put inside a folder there will have to be
> security checks etc. on them all. That sucks too.
>
> I believe it would be a better idea to have the elements stored directly
> in a "content" list inside the compund element. That way it will also be
> trivial to change the order of the elements. And for the security
> system, and the catalog it is all seen as one item.

Well then it's not a content-management system if you have to have
specialized types for subelements, or if you store the subelement in a
list instead of a folderish object.

> It will also make it pretty easy to make new elements, as there will be
> practically no "Zope'ism" to the new elements.

I think a worthwile goal, on the contrary, would be to have elements
that are as CMFish as possible. The difficult part is of course to make
it play well with catalogging, security and workflows.

Florent