[Zope-CMF] standard_error_message/404 nightmares (Re: 1.3 roadmap)

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:04:15 -0300

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:01:48AM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> > standard_error_message is called from all sorts of strange
> > place.
>
> Gimme some examples, 'cos I don't really believe you ;-)

Easy. Go to plone.org or cmf.zope.org, log in, then bring up 404.

> > - it always renders as Anonymous, for example.
>
> Hmmm... that kinda makes sense though, if something barfs, do you really want to
> be logged in?

Yes.

First, for consistence.

Second, my use case is a wiki-like setup, where the 404 page
offers a list of types to create if the user has the right
permissions. Of course, that doesn't work if request isn't right.

> I find this a little strange though, maybe a ZC head could give a
> reason/explanation...

If they could do this, I'd be glad to pursue the proper fix
instead of my lame workaround.

> > Actually, Zope2 error handling is way broken and I don't think
> > I'm the man to fix it.
>
> I don't really agree with that.

Well, it is. Use 'grep -r standard_error_message lib/python' and
you'll see it get called from all sorts of places with all sorts
of contexts (or none whatsoever).

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)      ---       http://www.BroDar.org/
Python Foundry Guide http://www.sf.net/foundry/python-foundry/