[Zope-CMF] Design issues for intranet: storing files

Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:30:03 +0000

On Friday 08 November 2002 4:13 pm, Heimo Laukkanen wrote:

> I am starting soon to do an intranet project for a customer, and will b=
> using Zope + CMF + Plone combination. I'm sure about anything else, but
> storing larger files - 3 to 20 megs or even more per file - in ZODB.

You dont say what you are doing with these files except 'storing' them. I=
f=20
thats *all* you are doing, I recommend CDR or tape ;-)

> Here are my thougths:
>
> 1) Propably for the intranet I will set up a new Zope instance with own
> ZODB=20

sounds good

> and cron script to pack it every day

The packing rate needs to depend on the rate at which old object revision=
s=20
expire. That is, the rate at which objects are deleted, plus the rate at=20
which existing objects change.

If you only ever *add* these huge files, then daily packing will gain lit=
tle.=20

(Independant of the packing frequency, packing regularly via cron is alwa=
ys a=20
good thing)

> Option would be to use ExternalMount to have no undo ZODB for that
> instance

Are there any production quality non-undoing storages?