[Zope-CMF] Skin Folders and Performance

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:33:20 -0800

I believe there was some discussion in the group about this before, but
I can't find the thread right now.

Looking at Plone and other CMF products we know that everyone adds
skins or in some cases skin hierarchy's to the portal_skins properties.
My question.. are there demonstrated performance issues associated with
having deep 'Layers' for skins?

Intuitively it would seem that having to traverse all of the folders to
pick a template would have some cost. Not sure if it is relevant.

I've thought about lessening the number of skin folders, and copying
product skins into these 'super skin' folders instead of merely
registering the skins and skin folders for each product.

Anyone care to weigh in, and/or point me to the thread that discussed
this?

Thanks,

~C

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution and Process Consulting
cer@sol43.com
sol43.com