[Zope-CMF] backup strategies

Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:59:42 -0800

Cliff's notes version of ZSS HA clustering, assuming you have some sort of
DirectoryStorage replication in place:

re: ZSS clustering.  You could use mon as well as heartbeat.  Heartbeat
would be set up on a 2-node cluster of ZSS machines.  If the primary
seriously died, then the backup would take over its IP address via
gratuitous ARP.

Heartbeat also manages resource with init-like scripts, when the takeover
started, it would start up a ZSS process on a replicated DirectoryStorage
after taking over the IP.  For safety, you would want to likely kill the
primary server to keep it from replicating to the backup after the takeover.
You could do this by using a power-device (STONITH: Shoot The Other Node In
The Head).

The takeover that heartbeat performs could be initiated under 2 conditions:

- totally dead primary ZSS box.  Heartbeat does this when the primary stops
sending heartbeats that the secondary can see.
- Half-dead box: lack of ZSS service on tcp socket.  Use a mon alert script
to trigger heartbeat takeover.

ZEO clients would retry connection after a timeout from a severed TCP
connection to the ZSS, and see that it is back up.

Sean