[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:24:32 -0800

Three cheers for Andy!

I've be wondering if anyone was noodling on the next version of CMF.
The only question I have is whether the compound element is something
everyone really wants in standard CMF?

I've been creating similar types by using workflow, catalog indexes,
and cataloged folders for quite some time without any need for any
special types. The challenge I continue to run into is the sub-objects
that are included in each of the 'compound elements' continues to
change based on user preferences.

One time its:

  o News Article
  o Photo
  o Bio
  o Related News Articles

And the next it something else... My solutions to date have been to
create a unique folder type that is automatically cataloged, and allow
users to add types to the folder which have a 'searchable' index set to
false. This allows users to search for the entire rendered 'composite'
document, and not find the individual pieces, while allowing me to
re-use portal types. Typically the 'composite' is just a template
applied to the folder based on an attribute of the folder type (i call
it 'render_type'), and is consistent with the way other folder contents
are rendered throughout the site. As I mentioned, it's been pretty
effective so far.

So, with the fact that the contents of the composite can vary from site
to site, or section to section. Can a 'generic' composite type be
created?

Other than that question.. great to have a road map.

~C

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 01:15  PM, zope-cmf-request@zope.org
wrote:

> I've started a roadmap for the 1.4 release of CMF.
>
> Its intended to be a relatively minor release that incorporates lots of
> bug fixes and new features from CVS. Hopefully we'll be on a relatively
> short release cycle for this version. Anyway, I've put the initial
> document up here:
> http://cmf.zope.org/projmgmt/project_schedule/roadmap_1_4
>
> If you would like to write or include anything for 1.4 then please let
> me know (or comment on the document) and I will add you in and we can
> get started.
>
> Cheers.
> --
>    Andy McKay

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution and Process Consulting
cer@sol43.com
sol43.com