[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:46:00 -0800

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:09:15PM -0700, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
> I have one, but it's in such bad shape.

Thanks, I already have that. ;)

> I'm not too sure how some would like it - some people
> prefer compound documents to be folderish.  I went a different route
> and went towards an OpenDoc inspired model of Documents (the abstract
> shell) containing Parts/PartContainers.  It's an approach that works
> decently with through-the-web complex document editing, but not
> terribly well with FTP or other means.  Basically - I'm not sure if my
> solution is generic enough for inclusion with the CMF (and it builds on
> its own complex framework that would need cleaning).

hmmm, not sure. Is this like the way CMFArticle has Elements
(bits of a page) and optional Sub-Articles (different pages
of the same article)?

One thing I am convinced of from using CMFArticle is that
these problems are orthogonal, and should be addressed separately.
That is:

1. Building a single web page out of multiple content objects.

2. Building a (from user's POV) single content object
that consists of multiple web pages. e.g. the articles
on oreillynet.com and bazillions of other sites.

For my current purposes I really only care about #2,
and being forced to deal with the complex UI for #1 is
exactly what we dislike about CMFArticle.*

Then, for a complete solution of both problems, it's merely
necessary that things of type 2 are able to use things of type 1
as "pages".

Anyway, #2 is simple enough that I can hack something up
that works better for us than CMFArticle.

* There's also the matter of several bugs that I posted -
with fixes! - to the CMFArticle bug-tracker, which
have AFAICT been ignored. Seems like a dead project.

I don't mean to pick on CMFArticle so heavily - it's
version 0.22 after all, and they're busy working
on other stuff for mmmanager. CMFArticle solved a problem that we
needed solved, but in its current form, it ended up making our
content management more and not less difficult.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com