[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:59:58 +0000

We have been using a home-grown solution to the compound question in
production for nearly 2 years now, and I keep promising to release it.
It is sufficiently generic to solve all sorts of

 > 1. Building a single web page out of multiple content objects

type problems.  I have never had time to release it because it, too, is
very bound up in customer work and would take a while to extract.

The short description: a 'page' is folderish.  'components' are existing
Types inside the page, or other pages.  The page uses templates to
display the components.  The components decide how to display themselves
depending on a 'slots' definition in the page.  For example, I create a
'HomePage' page; I go to its 'slots' tab; I add 'text_1' and 'image_1'
components into the slots; I declare that when I use the 'view' action
on the HomePage, I should display the components' 'view_component'
action; and when I use the 'edit' action, I should use the components'
'edit_component' action.  I can also define slots' default content when
they are added, and metadata.

However, I am hopeful that I could at least extract the core of it and
post some TODO notes which someone else could take up, if they have
time.  I will make a special effort to start to do that in the next 2
weeks (hmm, I've said that before...)

Therefore it is unlikely to make it into a 1.4.

However, I would strongly urge people to wait and see mine or Jeffrey's
solutions before going ahead with this.  It is an important issue and
it's worth getting right.

Seb