[Zope-CMF] Re: I18n-skins: Why I did what I did :-)

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:25:43 +0100

Hi!

Gitte Wange wrote:
> Well I wanted to help out as well :-)
> But I don't have checkin-rights so I just wanted to know if any patches should
> be sent to you ?

Maybe you should get checkin-rights? ;)

Or you can send patches for yuppie-collector122-branch to me. But I
think we should discuss the question of msgids further before you work
on a patch.

The more I think about msgids, the more I'm against using msgids everywhere.

Using the English text as msgid, you always know if something has
changed. Sometimes it's important to re-translate the English text.

And you always know *what* you translate.

>>Should we also add .po / .pot files to cvs? What would be the right
>>directory?
>

> Hmm .... I haven't been trying the .po files yet, because I didn't know how to
> get them into the messagecatalog and stuff like that. But I think it would be
> the best approach. If it's decided to use the .po files, they should be
> located in a directory named locale.

I don't think CMF should ship with a message catalog. .po* files are
much better to maintain in cvs.

I'm not sure if CMF should ship with any translations. Maybe there
should be an other place to download .po files. But a .pot file would be
good as a reference for msgids.

Should the locale directory in root or in CMFDefault? I guess one
catalog for CMFDefault, CMFTopic and CMFCalendar would be enough, so
locale would be a cross package directory.

>>What kind of documentation is needed? Where should this go?
>

> Hmmm good question. Documentation? ;-)

Well, at least something like <http://plone.org/development/i18n/howto>.

As part of INSTALL.txt or as a new INSTALL_I18N.txt.

Cheers,

Yuppie