[Zope-CMF] Re: I18n-skins: Why I did what I did :-)

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
04 Mar 2003 07:39:11 -0500

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 07:25, Yuppie wrote:

> Gitte Wange wrote:
> > Well I wanted to help out as well :-)
> > But I don't have checkin-rights so I just wanted to know if any patches should
> > be sent to you ?
>
> Maybe you should get checkin-rights? ;)

I'd be happy to push a contributor agreement through.

> Or you can send patches for yuppie-collector122-branch to me. But I
> think we should discuss the question of msgids further before you work
> on a patch.
>
> The more I think about msgids, the more I'm against using msgids everywhere.
>
> Using the English text as msgid, you always know if something has
> changed. Sometimes it's important to re-translate the English text.
>
> And you always know *what* you translate.

Can somebody from each side draft a proposal for / against the use of
msgids?  I don't have enough direct experience using I18N / L10N tools
to have a feel for the tradeoffs, but I don't see consensus emerging
here.

> >>Should we also add .po / .pot files to cvs? What would be the right
> >>directory?
> >
> > Hmm .... I haven't been trying the .po files yet, because I didn't know how to
> > get them into the messagecatalog and stuff like that. But I think it would be
> > the best approach. If it's decided to use the .po files, they should be
> > located in a directory named locale.
>
> I don't think CMF should ship with a message catalog. .po* files are
> much better to maintain in cvs.
>
> I'm not sure if CMF should ship with any translations. Maybe there
> should be an other place to download .po files. But a .pot file would be
> good as a reference for msgids.
>
> Should the locale directory in root or in CMFDefault? I guess one
> catalog for CMFDefault, CMFTopic and CMFCalendar would be enough, so
> locale would be a cross package directory.

I don't think this will work;  there will be no sane way to discover
the location of the 'locale' directory if it is not nested inside a
product.  (The top-level "CMF-1.x" directory is not "bound" to the
product directories after installation).