[Zope-CMF] [dev] some CMF 1.4beta1 issues

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:34:34 -0300

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:01:02PM +0200, Yuppie wrote:
| Hi!
|

| There are still some unresolved issues regarding the bigger changes in
| CMF 1.4:
|

| type actions:
| =============
|
| The absolute-URL problem is even worse than described in
| <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/152> .
|

| I don't know how a browser should resolve an empty href, but at least in
| a current Mozilla browser empty actions are broken.
|

| CMF 1.3.1:
|
| folder view action.text:     ""
| url returned by ActionsTool: "http://localhost:8080/mySite"
| link in Mozilla:             "http://localhost:8080/mySite"
| link in IE:                  "http://localhost:8080/mySite"
|
| CMF 1.4beta1 (converted or new):
|
| folder view action.text:     "string:"
| url returned by ActionsTool: ""
| link in Mozilla:             whatever your current view is
| link in IE:                  "http://localhost:8080/mySite/"
|

| So I want to modify this proposal a bit:
| <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2003-May/018431.html>
|
| The conversion method should also add 'string:${object_url}/' instead of
| just 'string:'.

+1 for that. I was about to do it, but was trying to come up with
cases were doing that could break existing software. I havent found
any till now.

| internationalization support
| ============================
|
| herve reported some issues on the collector.
|
| 1.) dynamic string issues:
|
| <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/158>
| Has anyboy got an idea how to resolve this?

I think its more or less the same problem as with Zope3. They used a
convention of enclosing the string in _(''), where '_' is a function
of the translation service (or something to that effect).

| <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/156>
| Fixing that would be very easy, but we will run into similar problems as
| in #158.
|
| 2.) message catalogue issues:
|
| <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/155>
| I'm not happy with creating a new directory for just a single file. But
| the usual place for a .pot file seems to be CMFDefault/locale. We should
| wait with creating that file until #156 and #158 are resolved.

I dont think this is related. The convention that is being used in
Plone and PlacelessTranslationService is having CMFPlone/i18n with all
the .po files inside.

| <http://collector.zope.org/CMF/157>
| I don't think translations should be part of the distribution. These
| should be released in a decentralized way:

Right. Again, in Plone, the translations live on a separate module on
CVS, and are included on the releases, but people that have access to
the i18n repository may not have access to the main repository.

| Each language needs a maintainer who is responsible for the content of
| the .po file. There should be an overview at cmf.zope.org with links to
| the downloads.

Stephan Richter was thinking about having something like i18n.zope.org
as a place to share translations of Zope3. Personally, I think that
something like this has a 50/50 chance to work out.

--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

The less time planning, the more time programming.